Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Psychosis, Stress and The Holidays - Mental Health Awareness Retreat


Psychosis, Stress and The Holidays


Last night I had a severe outbreak of paranoia. I hadn't felt like that in years now. It goes to prove that I will always need to manage my condition in order to stay in recovery and that sometimes I will relapse. And there is nothing wrong with relapsing. In order to get back on my feet and feel better, I followed all of my coping skills and got myself quickly into recovery once again.

Today I woke up brand new as if nothing even happened last night, full functioning once more. With part of my condition being psychosis, I realize that I will always have to do certain things to avoid full blown episodes such as stress. 

I have been through a lot of changes lately, holidays are coming up and that means being in situations that I feel unease with and on top of that I had a lot of salt last night. Believe it or not what you eat has a lot to do with your mental health. All these things compiled together caused me to have a psychotic break. I started to hear voices, see things that were not real and feel extreme paranoia.

How did I overcome it? I used my coping skills.

I immediately turned to second life and other websites in order to distract my mind. If I am distracting my mind nothing else has full power. I kept breathing in slowly and exhaling slowly, reminding my body to relax. While breathing I used affirmations. "There is nothing wrong. I am ok. Everything is alright. I am safe. I am grounded. I am here in the present. I am alright" 

When I felt that my coping skills will not work, I kept reminding myself that it was alright to go to the hospital if need be. I decided to give myself a few hours to try and calm down and if I didn't I was not afraid to go to the emergency room to get medication and the help I needed. 

In the end my coping skills did work and I woke up doing well but I never doubted myself going to the hospital if it came down to that. I have drank Haldo before and it has done wonders for my psychosis therefore I am not afraid of medication nor getting treatment.

So what I learned for the holidays when dealing with psychosis?

1. Keep stress to the minimum if possible. Try to not make big changes in your life during the holidays as the holidays seasons in itself is stressful enough.

2. Watch what you eat. Eating high salts and sugars can exacerbate your condition. 

3. Remember your coping skills and apply them if need be. Whether is breathing techniques, distraction techniques, grounding techniques, or music therapy....keep these things in mind and apply them according to what works for you. Only you know what is best for you to feel better.

4. Drink your medication/s if you have them. Many medications do work and can help with your condition.

5. Phone someone. You might just need to have a chat with someone in order to figure out what are your options during difficult illness time or just talk about how you feel. 

6. Don't be afraid to go to the hospital if need be. If you feel a threat to yourself and/or others, don't be afraid to seek help. 

Remember that everyone heals differently, copes differently and reacts differently to medications. So it is always important for you to research what are your options and what works for you in order to feel better. 

Happy Healing and Holidays Everyone =]

Check out what I am wearing from XIAJ @kustom9, :REBELL: and more HERE


***LEGAL DISCLAIMER: the information provided is not intended to replace any professional help. Discretion is advised. I am not a professional nor pertaining to act as such. The information given was gather from personal experience and educational resource.



2 comments:

  1. It's good to hear that you were able to recover quickly and feeling better the next day. It is a life long struggle, with lots of ups and downs, for both the person with a disorder and the people that love them. I know many people who suffer from various mental disorders and illnesses and the holiday 'stress' season is always a very difficult time because everyone tends to stress themselves out over not getting stressed :P A reminder of coping skills and not letting things overwhelm you even if they do happen to go a bit wrong is always a wonderful idea. Thanks again for shared and I hope you have a wonderful and stress free holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Novadestin =] I hope you have a wonderful and stress free holiday season as well. Friendly hugs.

    ReplyDelete